Thursday, September 26, 2013

Autumn When It's Not 90

Fall has come! And by this I mean actual real autumn, as in "no Riverside, you are most certainly not experiencing fall; good joke though". During the first week of my first new season the temperature dropped about ten degrees and since then has been resting in the mid to high 50's. There has been little rain and the air is crisp and fresh. When I'm not thawing my hands out from my 8AM bike to class, it is quite nice. The leaves are already starting to fall and I'm itching to get a super cheesy picture of me throwing a pile of them in the air. I've already worn more sweaters and scarves than ever (that good ol' LA winter). The Swedes think its endearing that I am looking forward to the first snow experience; my professor literally said "Aw, bless your heart" today haha. Only thing missing is pumpkin spice EVERYTHING! Can't believe my first fall is without the pumpkin lattes, breads, butter, pies, (and poptarts according to Alyssa Schulz?!) etc. Don't get me wrong they have pumpkins here but I'm not about to go carve an entire one out just for anything pumpkin flavored...uh what about good ol' Libby's pumpkin in a can?!  But besides the pumpkin issue, there are no complaints about this brisk weather. I've spent afternoons in oversized sweaters, snuggled in blankets reading new novels and sipping tea. Super cliche but amazing all the same.
Fall also marks the start of school for my fellow Bruins! As if I wasn't missing home enough (Buddy's football games, my birthday etc.) a whole new bout of homesickness is about to come on for life in lovely Westwood. I absolutely love being abroad, meeting new people, and seeing new things, but sometimes I wish I didn't have to opt out of a quarter of UCLA in order to do so. Seriously, why is our school so awesome?! It's pretty hard to get a better college experience after two (very quick) years as a Bruin. Okay, that's it I'm done bragging ;) OH wait jk, I'm not...because I haven't even mentioned our football team's studly performance these past few weeks. Literally killing me seeing all the tailgating, cheering, face-paint, and baby blue in everyone's photos. I swear to never miss a game next season. Not to mention all the Bruin Belles activity that will start soon, as well as tryouts for volleyball. Ahhh! UCLA I misssss you!

Meanwhilllle, here in Lund I've just been chillin'. I pretty much have no other way to put it. I've never had only two classes each with one chapter of reading a week. That's like less than 100 pages of reading in 7 whole days!! My evolutionary psych class is interesting; we have different lecturers every few weeks and some of the material I've learned in LS15 with Professor Phelan at UCLA. As for the scandinavia history class... I've basically learned that Vikings did not actually wear horned helmets haha

Mornings when I don't have class I spend time at the gym since it's incredibly empty while everyone else is in school. Sometimes my corridor mate and I take a spin class together in the evening. I even got my hands on a volleyball playing in a rec league. Volleyball isn't as popular here as the states, especially living in socal, so its pretty much just for fun. But hey no complaints here!

Oh! Last Friday six of us from the corridor got together so the Swedes could show myself and the other international student on our floor how to make Swedish meatballs! We made everything from scratch including the meatballs, mashed potatoes, gravy/saucey thingy, and apple pie. It was super fun way to get to know everyone a little more. And of course the food was fantastic. The meatballs taste like realllly flavorful meatballs from home except Swedish peeps top it with some type of berry jelly. I'm totally making them when I get home.

I'm still enjoying my favorite run into the countryside, while the weather's nice that is. Next week I plan on going to the mall to buy some gloves and a thicker jacket so I don't freeze in October.


Hmmmm...what else? Oh! I booked a flight to see the lovely Molly Betts in Cork, Ireland in early November! I'll be spending 4 whole days in Irish countryside which I'm so stoked for, along with visiting traditional Irish pubs hehe. Yesterday, an email from UCLA Psych Dept. finally congratulated me on my acceptance into the major! Woooohooo! Not that I'm any closer to knowing what I want to do after UCLA, but hey at least I have a major weeeeeee (:

That's all for now
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment