Tuesday, November 12, 2013

October in a Nutshell

WHERE DID OCTOBER GO? Okay, my time here is flying by way toooo fast. I mean I miss everyone back home but seriously how can it already be November? Good thing about this is I now feel ok allowing myself to watch Elf and listen to Christmas music...

Sorry I haven't written in ages. I'm trying to recap what happened in the past weeks but it is all a blur. I finished my Viking paper woohoo! My brain was very happy to be put to use. The Viking Age Scandinavia class is now officially over leaving me with just Evolutionary Psych and Gastronomy. I went on two excursions with my SAS classes; one to Malmo and another to Copenhagen. In Malmo we visited an environmentally sustainable living community. They had government sponsored gardens, eco-friendly washing machines and green roof housing for all the residents. It was definitely really interesting but I think the US has a few more important things to settle before we start paying people to garden...

Copenhagen again! No complaints here. We went to a Viking exhibit in the Danish National Museum. I tried on chain mail and got to see a lot of the artifacts we studied in class. Afterwards, a few friends and I got some coffee and just wandered around the city. I stumbled upon an antiques art shop where my mom bought vintage work that has become a family collection. I was sooo excited to find this collector again!! I remember waiting impatiently outside the shop the last time my family visited Copenhagen; it's funny how much more I appreciate the older I get! I purchased a stone etching of Gothenburg, Sweden. The owner even showed my a 400 year old drawing of Lund! Unfortunately, it was way out of my price range but beautiful. That sums it up for travel; I tried to stay local this month and save all my traveling for the end of my stay, a little easier on the wallet and studying.

Weather. Yes. It's getting chilly here but still not as cold as autumn usually is (according to the Swedes; its plenty cold for me by all means). Last Monday night we actually had a level 3 hurricane pass through Lund. The winds were crazy and all the gorgeous leaves are most definitely on the ground now. The sun (not that it really matters since I haven't actually seen the sun in a week lol) sets around 4PM now. Crazy!! Feels so late when I get out of class at 5.

Here are some random photos from the past few weeks:

Colors.  Obsessed. With. Fall colors. (As further documented in the following photos).
Stopping mid-run (as usual) for more fall pictures



Homemade pumpkin bread! FINALLY! Took carving a whole pumpkin but totally worth it. 
Halloween festivities 

Me in front of the Viking ship!

LOL
More beautiful than this double rainbow was the fact that I got to see the sun this day. I never understood my love for sunshine until now!! 


Besides this, just a bit of school things happening--a few presentations and a couple chapters of reading-- and ALOT of Christmas themed movies being watched! Wooohoo t'is the season;; who needs Thanksgiving anyway?!

Another post to come tomorrow! Can't wait to share all about Ireland!

Xo



No comments:

Post a Comment