Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Dalby Stenbrott Adventures


Ah! Today was such a fantastic day I'm having a hard time putting it into words (hence the tons of pictures). After class today (oops, yes my ILP-Intensive Language Program started a few days ago, but I'll play catch up another time!) a few of the students in the UC program decided to venture to Dalby, the town just outside of Lund. It's even smaller than Lund, but the best part of Dalby was the hour and a half bike ride to get there! Dad, this is totally reminded me of you; can I suggest Sweden as your next century ride location? I'll come support. Okay. Thanks. ;)



We rode through the most stunning countryside I've ever seen. It was picture perfect (and trust me I stopped to take many!) It reminded me a bit of the farm land outside of Philadelphia, except it was a perfect 70 degrees out with a slight breeze and no humidity. The ride was basically flat along side a main road. Naturally, we got lost quite a few times but that just adds to the adventure, right? Eventually we made it to Dalby:


The reason a bunch of us decided to make the excursion out of town was to take advantage of this weird Swedish heat in Dalby's small lake (uhhmmm...its hotter than L.A. quickly running out of non-sweater clothes!) When we finally ended up just outside of town this is what I saw:



The lake is surrounded by about 50 ft cliffs all full of Swedes launching themselves into the water. Sorry, guys heights just aren't my favorite but that didn't stop me from getting in the strangely clean tasting, perfect temperatured water. I swam from cliff to cliff (because my legs really needed another work out?) and waded around with the other 20 UC students. 



Rebecca and I at the end of the ride! Were pooped. 




The small gathering of trees on the side of one of the cliffs reminded me of Big Sur and once I got to thinking about it, I really haven't gotten the chance to enjoy the serenity and beauty of God's nature since then. As you all know, I absolutely love spending my time outdoors, but no where more than places like this.  I can't believe I am going to have to return to LA after this. Can I stay longer?!

This is the 60 cliff a few Swedes were brave enough to try out. They were all rewarded with an overwhelming American applause as they surfaced the water haha


Yes, I even found sheep... 
This is one of my favorite pictures from the ride. I couldn't get over this scene! Where in California can I see something like this?! You could definitely say I was in my happy place. 



My friend Nick snapped this picture on the way back to Lund. Hungry, thirsty and sunburnt (um hello Rick Steves, you didn't say I'd need sunscreen for Sweden, just thermals) the ride back wasn't quite as enthusiastic, but the scenery never once lost its charm. As soon as my body recovers, I'm headed back to this trail. Lets just say, I will be walking to class instead of riding for a few days! Oh, now that I mention it, the trails. Sweden takes pride in its nature and nearly every living community I've seen also has a HUGE paved trail park along side. Its amazing! But also very easy to get lost in...oops. I mean if I get lost running in Bel Air, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get lost anywhere. 



Of course, I had to venture into a wheat field for a photo op. Another plus to the day, I finallllly got internet so posts will be much more frequent! Family and friends, contact me on facebook to get my new Swedish phone number or just skype me. Miss you all tons. Thanks for reading! (:

Until next time,
Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment